Hugging the wooded hillside of Sayler Park, Buckeye Trace is one of our newest preserves.
Buckeye Trace is 20 acres, and is accessible from Hillside Avenue near Rockaway Ave. We have three trails at the Buckeye Trace Preserve: Meadow Trail, Box Turtle Trail and Incline Trail for a total of roughly 3/4 of a mile of easy to strenuous hiking. In generations past, the site served as part of a sand mining operation. Evidence of that history can be found throughout. (Our history sleuths are putting together a write up that we’ll share here in the future)
Woodland restoration work and trail improvement work are ongoing. Keep an eye on the calendar for hikes and work-days.
Click on the trails in the map below for more detail.
Hiking degree of difficulty:
The Buckeye Trace trail system ranges from easy strolls to challenging workouts, depending upon the trail. Some sections of moderate and strenuous trails climb steep slopes and include rocky, uneven steps.
How to Get Here:
A gravel parking lot is available at the foot of the hill accessible from Hillside Ave. We can be hard to spot; the driveway to this preserve is located between two privately owed residences, and our driveway traverses seemingly into their backyard before it hooks to the left, down a brief narrow gravel drive and into our parking area. Directions
Things to remember:
- Dogs are welcome on the trails, but please be considerate of other hikers and clean up after your pets and keep dogs on a leash.
- Mountain bikes, horses, and motorized vehicles are prohibited on the trails. Foot traffic only.
- Hunting is prohibited for the safety of other hikers and our neighbors.
- Camping is prohibited.
- Camp fires are prohibited.
- Be prepared for varying trail conditions. Many trails are slippery in wet weather.
- Trails go up and down steep, rugged terrain and should only be used by persons who are in good physical condition.
- Stay on marked trails.
- Don’t hike alone.
- Dress for the weather, and wear suitable shoes.
- Travel at your own risk.
- Do not remove plants or items from the preserve.
- Do make sure to take your trash with you to dispose of properly. No dumping.